i don't know how you measure love but allow me to count the ways i adore dw:
1. he doesn't have a coffee maker, in fact, he hates the taste of it. so every weekend, i wake up gasping for caffeine and like the best boyfriend that he is, he goes with me to the corner Donna's and watches me inhale a cup until i have the good enough grace to say "hey, what's up? good saturday to you, sir."
2. i hate doing dishes. it's not my thing. neither of our places have dishwashers... unless the dishwasher's name is DW, in which case, i got that. yep.
3. fruit picking. until this past weekend, the extent of my fruit picking was relegated to the autumn time frame, when it's crispy cool and the apples are at adult height level. i love strawberries but the image of picking them, bent over in the blazing hellish sun of Memorial Day, makes me more than happy to just cough up the $5 it costs at Whole Food. but not dw. no. he picked two rows of them while i stood with camera in one hand and umbrella in the other. see, my unofficial duty was to keep him shaded, provide asinine commentary about the people around us, as well as take pretty pictures. he allowed me to do all this WITHOUT COMPLAINT.
4. running. when dw & i first started dating, i was just starting my Running Thing. i convinced him to do it with me, i like having company in my misery. we did our first 5K together two weeks ago. he ran it in 30:33, while i
ran hobbled it in 38:45. for my last quarter mile he ran back to find me (he said he found me thru the crowd by my distinct gait.) so we could run the last part together.
5. Best Chauffeur. ever. sunday night nuria & i went to the new kids on the block & backstreet boys concert (do not judge us!) and rather than dealing with city driving, dw dropped us off and nuria's man picked us up after. LIKE WE WERE 12 AGAIN!
listen. i could go on & on, but it'll make you throw up and that is not the intention of this blog. so, i leave you with this recipe for Lemon Bars that dw got from his mom (yessss, another family recipe!) and we topped with the freshly picked strawberries, sunkissed and slightly dressed with lemon juice and sugar.
1 Cup flour
½ Cup butter
¼ Cup confectioner’s sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoon lemon zest, divided (use organic people)
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350°
Mix flour, butter, 1 tsp of lemon zest and confectioner’s sugar.
Press evenly into bottom of square pan (8” x 8”) or (9” x 9”)
Bake for 20 minutes
Beat remaining until light and fluffy.
Pour over hot crust and bake about 25 minutes longer
Cut into squares
Decorate with confectioners’ sugar and/or lemon zest