i decided to do chicken this week, since we already had beef last week. naturally, i had intentions of following the recipe but i ended up going fresh with some of the ingredients and omitting quite a chunk of stuff out. oops!
adapted from Linda Doeser's One Pot Recipes
4lb chicken pieces
2 tbl paprika
2 tbl olive oil
2 tbl butter *
1 large onion, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped *
12 oz canned chopped tomatoes
1 cup dry white wine *
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbl worchestershire sauce *
1 tbl finely chopped parsley*
11.5 oz canned corn kernels, drained*
15 oz canned lima beans, drained and rinsed *
2 tbl all purpose flour *
4 tbl water
* i either omitted these ingredients or forgot. instead, i added carrots, celery and green beans, seemed fresher than canned corn and beans. also, rather than using chicken on the bone, like thighs or drumsticks, i just used chicken breasts, cut in big sizes. i finished cooking the stew in the crock pot so i wanted to make sure the pieces remained intact, somewhat.
1. Season the chicken pieces with salt and dush with paprika.
2. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole or large pan. Add the chicken pieces and cook over medium heat, turning, for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate using a slotted spoon.
3. Add the onion and bell peppers to the casserole. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the tomatoes, wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce and parsely and bring to a boil, stirring. Return the chicken to the casserole, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
4. Add the corn and beans to the casserole, partially cover, and let simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Place the flour and watere in a small bowl and mix to make a paste. (i totally forgot this step). Stir a ladleful of the cooking liquid into the paste, then stir it into the stew. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Serve, garnished with parsley.
what i learned:
seasoning with just salt and paprika is awesome! i just did the seasoning of the chicken in the first step and that was it. i didn't have to adjust the taste again. i stewed everything in the crockpot on high for 2 hours. then i let it cool before putting them in individual containers, two for jab to eat on tuesday and wednesday. i had a bowl for lunch and it was so good, warm with a slight kick from the paprika. i thought of making some sort of bread as a side but i just had too much going on. i'd think a sourdough biscuit would go well with it. there's always next time!
Today's soundtrack: John Butler Trio, What You Want to Say.
Last, but most def. not least, please don't forget about the upcoming month of October, it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. this is for a good cause. if you can't participate in the walk, bake for the Boob Off. you can read about it here.