dinner on friday was fun. i did a lot of the prep work the evening before so the only thing i really had to do was make the polenta and assemble the grapefruit salad, which was super easy.
Grapefruit, Red Onions and Basil Salad
- two ripe grapefruits, either peeled or in my case, i cut out the slices, getting rid as much of the white membrane as possible.
- half a small onion, sliced uber thin
- sliced black olives
- 5 basil leaves, chiffinade
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbl balsamic vinegar
- cracked black pepper and salt to taste
assemble the slices of grapefruit on plate, add the onions and black olives as wanted. drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
big k put in a request for the cold cucumber avocado soup, and because my friend shawn has an aversion to most veggies, i had to have a meat dish. i made a beer braised spare ribs dish and a creamy polenta to soup up the juices. recipe follows:
- spare ribs, i think i used about 2lbs
- a bottle (12oz) of beer, i used Sam Adams Light
- 2 whole gloves of garlic
- ginger, i think i chopped up a good two tablespoons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of hoisin sauce, for the last 30 minutes of cooking
Strong Ass Coffee Panna Cotta
- 1 packet of gelatin, half used for the cream layer and othe remaining half for the coffee layer
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups of strong ass coffee (i just brewed some coffee in the morning and it was left over)
- 2 tbls espresso vodka
- 1 tbl kahlua
- 5 tbl sugar
it was a nice ending to dinner and what a boost for the night out.